Sunday, June 15, 2008

Prepare to repel boarders!!!*

Yay!

I have returned from our first cruise of the season and nothing terribly awful happened! The passengers did complain about the food, but their only complaint was that they left five pounds heavier than they boarded because they ate so much. (To be fair, I tend to be a bit heavy-handed with the butter...) Once I got over the shock of the schooner actually leaving the dock I spent all my time either cooking like a madwoman or occasionally poking my head abovedecks to stare slackjawed at the overwhelmingly fantastic scenery. Oh, and sleeping, but I didn't do enough of that to really warrant mentioning. The weather was amazing, and other than a few learning experiences** the cooking went off without a hitch.

Highlights from the trip included bald eagle sightings, firing our cannon, learning to knit (I have most of a hat done!) and singing songs on deck after dinner. Wow- that really sounded like a line from and advertising spiel, but it's pretty much true. There were a few "I have to do this until October?!" moments, (mostly at 4:30AM when my alarm went off) but for the mostpart my job rocks.

I don't have a ton of time to write as I need to get back to provisioning and stowing, so I'll have to save some stories for later.


Ciao!



*Easy to do when you haven't had a proper shower in a week
**Shallow roasting pans are a bad idea. So are flipflops, and for the same reason. Lazy susans make great slingshots when the boat tacks. People eat A LOT more than usual when they are on vacation.

No comments: